Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reality Vs. Mysticism

Recently I was asked to paint illustrations and the cover for a book titled "I Am Coyote, Who Are You?". At first, the suggestion was that I create an image where coyote is not quite hidden behind snow-covered branches, with lots of blues and siennas in her face. Here's what I cam up with:


The letters were just laid on the painting to see if there was enough room for them!

When I finished the painting, I knew that it was not what the author wanted. I called her and she came right over. Sure enough. She said that she wanted a "mystical, golden creature". Very different from my first assignment!

I had ten minutes of anxiety. How does one paint a "golden, mythical creature"?
Then I just went to work, and here is the result:


The author loved it.

I thought I would write to you about this, because it shows two very different approaches to the same subject. Just imagine what could happen with a still life, or a landscape if one took two such different ways of portraying the subject?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about how you plan the mood and message of your paintings. Just write a comment below and I'll respond right away.

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment