Friday, July 28, 2017

It's fun to Paint Big!

I have really been enjoying painting large watercolors. For the longest time I resisted anything bigger than a full sheet. You know all those reasons - no room for them, costs too much to frame, no one has room on their walls, etc. Mary Whyte told me to paint big, so I finally made the leap.


I tried putting the painting and backing board on two easels, but that was too instead, so I settled for leaving it again my table and sitting in from of it. This meant I could reach the top and both sides. I usually stand when I paint, but this is quite relaxing! 
However, I had to keep putting the painting level on the table when I wanted the paint and water to flow on the paper.


you can see how the paper (140# Arches cold press) was buckling under the washes. I took it to my framer and she mounted it on mat board. This made all the difference.


Now it is just a case of building value and especially temperature on all of the shapes of the painting.


Finished Painting 30 x 40"
"Color of Sky and Stone"

I encourage you to try a painting that is larger than you usually do. You might just find a new passion!
Please leave a comment; I enjoy hearing from you.

Happy Painting,
Evelyn



No comments:

Post a Comment